Re: the new IglooFTP license

Thanks for bringing this to my attention (I'm the iglooftp debian
maintainer)!

On Wed, Jul 28, 1999 at 07:51:16PM -0400, James LewisMoss wrote:
[snip - commercial Pro version]
> /* IglooFTP - Graphical and User Friendly FTP Client.
>  * Copyright (c) 1998-1999 Jean-Marc Jacquet.
>  * All rights reserved.
>  *
>  * THIS PACKAGE IS PROVIDED "AS IS" AND WITHOUT ANY
>  * EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, WITHOUT
>  * LIMITATION, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTIBILITY
>  * AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE
>  *
>  * IglooFTP Original Packages, information and support,
>  * can be obtained at :
>  *                              http://www.littleigloo.org
>  *
>  *
>  */
>
> in the top level "COPYRIGHT" file and all the source files I looked at
> (which includes all of them in src (I'll ignore the one in lib which
> is netscape-remote).

Looking at the source for 0.6.1 (the last "free" one I saw), the copyright
is the same, but it does include LICENSE - which is the artistic license.

> I'm not sure how this package was classified as GPL to begin with.

> There are debian modifications that point to the GPL in
> /usr/share/common-licenses rather than the artistic license it seems
> to want to include.  That looks suspicious to me.  I've CCed the
> Debian maintainer for clarification.  (Maybe it was GPLed at 0.3.x
> and the changes persisted.  Seems likely to me.)

I _might_ have made a mistake and linked to the GPL ones rather than the
artistic ones by mistake, I thought it was GPL'd - although I only checked
this for the first version (0.3.1).

> With all the indications that it is "OpenSource" scattered around I
> guess we can assume that it was open source despite none of the source
> files actually saying this.  Is this a fair assessment?

[snip]
> Was it ever GPLed?  Looking at the source in Debian I'm not sure
> that's true.  (Of course I don't have the 0.3.x source to look at.

Ditto :-(  If that says artistic then the debian package linking to the GPL
(and /usr/doc/iglooftp/copyright saying GPL) is a mistake on my part.
Otherwise, the license has been changed.

There is no mention of a changed license in the changelog.

Adrian

email: adrian.bridgett@iname.com,    http://www.poboxes.com/adrian.bridgett
Windows NT - Unix in beta-testing.   PGP key available on public key servers
Avoid tiresome goat sacrifices  -=-  use Debian Linux http://www.debian.org