Re: crazy copyrights

On Fri, Jul 09, 1999 at 03:25:35PM -0700, Joey Hess wrote:

This look like the controversial points:

> to effectively monitor networks. ntop belongs to the author
> (Luca Deri <deri@unipi.it>) who allow you to use it according to the
> licence below (GPL2).

Here the author declares you must follow the GPL.

> What you CANNOT do with ntop is:
> - charge a fee for using ntop except for the physical act of
>   transferring a copy.

This sentence smells bad to me: "transferring a copy" is not "using",
is it? so the "except..." wording doesn't make sense.

> In other words you must keep ntop free of charge. If you have some

This denotes that probably Deri & friend didn't understand very well
the GPL.

Maybe I can try contacting him (in Italian) and have a cearing up.

By the way, what is this program?

Ciao, William