Re: DFSG And Trademarks

On Jun 18, Jeff Licquia wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 18, 1999 at 02:35:02PM -0000, bruce@perens.com wrote:
> > Change the name on your package just enough to avoid all of the trademarks,
> > because we _will_ have to fix bugs before they do, etc.
>
> Any recommendations on avoiding the trademark?  Do I have to come up
> with a brand new name, or would something like "cups-debian" or
> "debcups" or "dcups" work OK?

"dcups" is a double-entendre (at least in .us) and probably should be
avoided...

"cups-debian" might work; "common-unix-print-sys" might also be
appropriate (and a bit more descriptive).  And it gets around the
trademark...

(My understanding is that an acronym can't be trademarked under
U.S. law, so the "CUPS" trademark may be invalid in any case.)

Chris