Re: Editor and sensible-editor

On Jun 15, Brock Rozen wrote:
> To clear up any confusion, the Pine (as such, pico; I believe) license has
> changed and that might make it eligible to be taken out of "non-free".

A number of problems have been discussed on -legal relative to it;
most notably, that you can put it on a CD-ROM but not a Jaz disc (for
example), and you can't put it with commercial software.

That and the "local modification" business is a bit goofy; perhaps
they should consider a "you modify it, you change the name" policy
(i.e. you can't call a modified Pine "UW Pine" or "UW PC/Pine").  That
would at least edge it closer to DFSG-freeness (and would certainly
let binaries into non-free).

Chris
|        Chris Lawrence        |             Visit my home page!            |
|   <quango@watervalley.net>   |       http://www.lordsutch.com/chris/      |
|    Amiga A4000 604e/233Mhz   |   Visit the Lurker's Guide to Babylon 5:   |
|     with Linux/APUS 2.2.3    |   <*> http://www.midwinter.com/lurk/ <*>   |