Re: Editor and sensible-editor

/*
 * Doing my best to get this moved to -legal
 */

On Mon, Jun 14, 1999 at 02:17:11PM -0500, Steve Greenland wrote:
> On 14-Jun-99, 07:48 (CDT), Adam Rogoyski <rogoyski@cs.utexas.edu> wrote:
> >    The copyright for Pine and Pico has been updated on June 2nd and seems
> > less restrictive, http://www.washington.edu/pine/overview/legal.html.
> > Does it still fail the Debian Free Software guidelines?
>
> | Redistribution of this release is permitted as follows,
> | or by mutual agreement:
> | (a) In free-of-charge or at-cost distributions by non-profit concerns;
> | (b) In free-of-charge distributions by for-profit concerns;
> | (c) Inclusion in a CD-ROM collection of free-of-charge, shareware, or
> | non-proprietary software for which a fee may be charged for the packaged
> | distribution.
>
> This might slip by, depending on the exactly what is meant by (c). It
> seems to prevent the distribution of Pico with other commercial software,
> so I think it fails DFSG 1.

I thought that at first, however the above appear to be OR'd, not AND'd.
In that case (a) and (b) apply to our ftp sites, (c) seems to apply to
anybody's distribution of Debian on cdrom.

They could have said it much more nicely, however.  "You can't sell pine
(or pico, pilot) themselves, but you can sell a CD containing a bunch of
stuff in addition to pine." probably would have been nice and clear, but
for some reason clarity and software licenses do not go hand-in-hand.

> | Redistribution of binary versions is further constrained by license
> | agreements for incorporated libraries from third parties, e.g. LDAP,
> | GSSAPI.
>
> I'm not sure what this means. I'm guessing that there are ways to
> configure Pico to link to other libraries, which would then limit
> distribution of Pico. We could avoid that by not using those options.

BenC says LDAP is BSDish, so that's not an issue.  I have no clue offhand
what GSSAPI is offhand.

I'm concerned about whether or not "L" binaries may be distributed but it
SEEMS like one can do so.  This might put pine in main which would
admittedly be very good.  Does it mean I'd use it over mutt?  Lot on your
knife!

<Knghtbrd> "The currency collectors are offline."  "I'm rerouting though
           the secondary couplings.  If we re-align the phase manifold we
           should be able to use the plasma inductor matrix to manually
           launch a new cheesy spinoff series."
* ShadwDrgn sighs
<Phase> you leave my manifolds alone
<Phase> !