Re: Werken Public License

On Sun, Jun 13, 1999 at 04:00:29PM -0700, Bruce Perens wrote:
> I agree with your call on the DFSG #9 violation, it's not currently Open
> Source.
>
> > From: Brian Ristuccia <brianr@osiris.978.org>
> >      * You may not distribute a modified version of this software without
> >        providing source code.
>
> Doesn't violate DFSG #2 _or_its_intent_. This clause is not unlike one in
> the GPL.

This could be interpreted as saying that you must provide source code along
with the binaries. This would make binary .deb files impossible to
distribute. It would also mean that the debian main i386 cd containing this
program could not be sold unless it was accompanied by the debian main
source cd. The GPL words this more carefully, simply stating that an offer
to provide the source code is sufficient. Also, 3a has been interpreted to
mean that a copy of the source code on the same FTP server is sufficient.

--
Brian Ristuccia
brianr@osiris.978.org