Re: License

On Wed, Jun 09, 1999 at 11:04:29AM -0700, David Lawyer wrote:
> Ismael Olea wrote:
> >	Hum. This is a very complex stuff. What about recomend the use of GPL
> >for new docs?

Hi all, i'm the debian maintainer of the guide of LDP. Actually
not all the guide of LDP are considered debian free software guidelines
ok for this point of the licence:

    02.  Any  translation  or derivative work of <Put here the name
         of the guide> must be approved by the au-
	 thor in writing before distribution.

at this moment the network admin guide, the linux kernel guide are non-free,
the kernel modules programming guide, the installation and getting started
guide and afaik the sysadmin guide are released under GPL and are in
the principal part of the debian distribution.

The linux programmer guide is a terrible non-free for the point
of the license that says:
``if you make money with this guide the author want a share''

I know that there are problems with the licence of copyright and
i propose to adopt this point in the future license of LDP:

``if you change the guide (not package or print) you MUST change
the name''

This is a sort of ``escamotage'' generally accepted.

If you have any kind of question please contact me and/or
the debian-legal list

best regards

Andrea Fanfani

--