Re: NEC Licence (Work of US Gov. Employees)

Raul writes:
> But there is no copyright on U.S. Government issued materials, nor on
> public domain materials, so this paragraph isn't really relevant.

      (b) The copyright in a compilation or derivative work extends only to
      the material contributed by the author of such work, as distinguished
      from the preexisting material employed in the work, and does not
      imply any exclusive right in the preexisting material.

By applying the GPL to the whole of a derivative containing some of your
work and some US Government or public domain work you would appear to be
claiming an exclusive right to that preexisting material.

      The copyright in such work is independent of, and does not affect or
      enlarge the scope, duration, ownership, or subsistence of, any
      copyright protection in the preexisting material.

I think that this sentence is aimed at quite a different situation: one
where you own the preexisting material.

I don't see any way that the law is about to let you take material to which
you own no rights, attach a license to it, and enforce that license.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org (John Hasler)