Re: 6 GPL'ed Packages that depend on XForms.

[I changed the subject line]

In the thread "Re: GPL link against non-free in original work"
Raul Miller wrote:

> Brian Ristuccia <brianr@osiris.978.org> wrote:
>
> > You may, at your option and for the purposes of distributing
> > this program in object code or executable form under Section
> > 3 of the GNU General Public License, assume that the complete
> > source code for this program does not include the xforms
> > library (Copyright (c) by T.C. Zhao and Mark Overmars).  If
> > you choose not to excercise this option, you may distribute
> > this software only under the terms of the GNU General Public
> > License and may remove this paragraph.
>
> Still needs more work: this implies that you can't distribute
> something compiled against xforms with this clause.

How so?
Any suggestions?  I'd like to sort this out once and for all (See
my debian-legal post `6 GPL'ed Packages that depend on XForms')
with debian-legal's help.

Thanks,
Peter