Re: GPL link against non-free in original work (Re: Isn't a kde version..)

On Fri, May 28, 1999 at 09:32:53AM -0400, Peter S Galbraith wrote:

> Mark Rafn wrote:
>
> > On the gripping hand, if the owner of the copyright for abiword (which may
> > not be a well-defined entity if significant contributions have been made
> > by multiple people under GPL) chooses to link against restricted libs,
> > that's fine and dandy, as permission to do so is granted, by definition,
> > to oneself.  This hybrid can't go in Debian (unless its released under a
> > different license than GPL), but nobody has broken any laws.
>
> I don't want to start a flame war here...  so let's be careful.
>
> In your above example, the _hydrid_ would be created and
> distributed by the owner of the copyright, and it still couldn't
> go into Debian.  Right?
>
> It's a little weird to me.  If the upstream author links against
> Qt or XForms and releases under the GPL, doesn't that nullify
> whatever GPL clause against that?  For example, take lyx in
> instable (I know people disagree with me on this interpretation).
> It's under the GPL and links against XForms.  It doesn't have an
> exception clause, but rather `remarks' clarifying the license:

If only law was so simple!  You presume something resembling a little
common sense.  Don't presume that when dealing with lawyers.  Remember
the woman who sued because her coffee was hot....

The software required Win95 or better, so I installed Linux.