Re: Forking and relicensing issues (different)

> However in the case of the objective C compiler I cannot see what
> would legally prevent the NeXT model. NeXT would distribute GPL'ed
> source code; which they are allowed to. They would also distribute
> some proprietary object files which just happened to be able to
> link together with the GPL'ed source code. FSF can't prevent that.

the trick: it doesn't just happen to link with the gpl code, it requires it
and is thus related enough to be a modification. or something like that. i'm
not certain of the details.

--p.
"For a price I'd do about anything, except pull the trigger: for that I'd
need a pretty good cause" -- Queensryche, "Revolution Calling"
PGP 5.0 key (0xE024447449) at http://cif.rochester.edu/~jpt/pubkey.txt