Re: freedomization task list [was: Re: Dangerous precedent being

On Sun, Dec 19, 1999 at 11:16:56PM +0100, Marketa Ceplova wrote:
> 1) Consideration is defined by my old Emanuel Outlines for Contracts
> as "detriment to promisee bargained for", which certainly is nothing
> which author of free software receives.

Why?  [I'm interested in seeing if you can come up with an explanation
which corresponds to the definition which does not also exclude normally
accepted contracts.]

> 2) Contracts are not different from other promises, actually the
> textbook (Dawson's one) has the particular section named "Grounds
> of enforcing promises". That is the exactly reason, why GNU/GPL
> states in section five:
>
>     You are not required to accept this License, since you have
>     not signed it. However, nothing else grants you permission
>     to modify or distribute the Program or its derivative works.
>     These actions are prohibited by law if you do not accept
>     this License. Therefore, by modifying or distributing the
>     Program (or any work based on the Program), you indicate
>     your acceptance of this License to do so, and all its terms
>     and conditions for copying, distributing or modifying the
>     Program or works based on it.

You're not required to accept a contract, but if you want to receive
the benefits of one you must abide by it.

--
Raul