Re: webmin license

On Tue, 14 Dec 1999, Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 14, 1999 at 12:26:11PM +0100, Henning Makholm wrote:

> > [snip something which could equally well be a direct translation of
> > the Danish law]

> Not according to your previous message: you said there that the Danish
> law required one to have the right to  run the program, but the Finnish
> one requires you to be in possession of a legal copy.

Oh yes. I somehow didn't catch that difference (stupid given that
was exactly why I brought up the topic). The exact wording here is
"Den, der har ret til at benytte et edb-program", translating to
"He/she who has the right to use [not run] a computer program".

> > > (Apparently this right can be revoked by a contract.)

> > It explicitly can't here.

> Clauses 2 and 3 of the same paragraph in Finnish law explicitly can't,
> but this was clause 1.

Double-checking again, I find that I was wrong. The rights to a backup
copy and to reverse engineering cannot be revoked by contract, but the
right to make necessary copies and correct bugs apparently can.

Do I feel foolish now?

--
Henning Makholm