Re: webmin license

> On Fri, 10 Dec 1999, Tomasz Wegrzanowski wrote:
> > On Fri, Dec 10, 1999 at 04:37:16PM +0100, Gergely Madarasz wrote:
> > >  We have software which don't qualify into debian
> > > main distribution because the licence is GPL but with a special clause:
> > > can't be used on microsoft operating systems.
> >   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > point me to one of them
> > i have to see it
>
> remind

Indeed

   a) REMIND may not be used under Microsoft Windows (3.0, 3.1, 95
      or NT) or any future version of Windows.  Such use constitutes
      a violation of copyright.

   b) REMIND may not be used by Cadabra Design Libraries Inc. or its
      directors, nor by any of Cadabra's subsidiaries or their directors.
      Such use constitutes a violation of copyright.

   c) Except for situations (a) and (b), REMIND may be used and
      distributed according to the terms of the GNU General Public
      License, Version 2, which follows: [...]

However, I recall reading in a message last week that a copyright licence
cannot restrict the use of the copyrighted material, only the circumstances
under which it may be copied. Indeed, I would find it strange if somebody
added a clause like "this software may only be used in the production of
weapons if those weapons are to be targetted against <my favorite enemy>",
and can hardly imagine that such a clause would be legally binding in any way.
So isn't the remind copyright legally void?

(So maybe the copyright might have restricted copying to machines running M$
software, which would then create interesting problems like: what about
copying on a PC running GNU/Linux, but to a VFAT partition, then rebooting...)

Marc van Leeuwen
Universite de Poitiers
http://wwwmathlabo.univ-poitiers.fr/~maavl/