Re: Bruce Perens's Slashdot debacle

In message <[🔎] Pine.LNX.4.10.9912020328360.22125-100000@inconnu.isu.edu>, John
Gal
t writes:

>I'm sure everybody has seen what happened when a mailinglist post by Bruce
>Perens got "leaked" to Slashdot.  I see part of the problem that the
>"news" people are seeing a dearth of news from the Debian Project, so are
>skimming the mailinglists as a substitute for timely information from the
>Debian Project.
  My suggestion is that the Debian Project
>nominates/elects (an) Official Spokesperson(s) to Slashdot, LWN, and all
>the "geek news" outlets, said spokesperson to maintain membership in all
>Debian mailinglists, and to provide timely, edited information about all
>topics that may interest the relevant communities

this is supposed to be in two places: one is Joey Hess' DWN post, and the
other should be press@debian.org  The problem with press@d.o is that we can
not monitor everythign that is going on in debian in a sufficient amount of
detail to be able to know when and when not to make information releases to
our press distribution lists.  This information needs to come from the
people who know what's going on with a particular subject.

  Hence: if someone has someone that they think is worth releasing, drop a
mail to press@d.o with _all_ relevant details so we can put together an
announcement (or writ ethe announcement, we'll jsut put it into a standard
format in that case) and it gets taken care of.  The problem to date has
been that we don't receive this information, so we can't release anything.

We have the debian-announce, debian-news, and debian-commercial lists, and
they're far underused at the moment.

Regards, Nils.

--
Nils Lohner                             E-Mail: lohner@debian.org