Re: mutt no longer in non-us?

On Nov 15, Brian Ristuccia wrote:
> I just recently noticed that mutt is no longer in non-us.
>
> What has changed that allows us to distribute mutt from the US to people
> outside of the US despite the fact that mutt is capable of integrating with
> strong encryption software and thereby capable of performing strong
> encryption on messages it sends?

A better understanding of the law by the Debian maintainer, I suspect.

> Also, if mutt really belongs in main, what prevents OpenSSH from being moved
> to contrib instead of non-us/non-free? Just like mutt, openssh contains no
> encryption software, but relies on an external library (libssl09) to do its
> encryption.

mutt isn't linked against a crypto library; openssh is.  Also,
openssh's sole purpose is to provide encrypted connections; mutt
normally doesn't do anything with encryption unless you install
another package (PGP or GnuPG) and tell it to use it.  To put it
another way: mutt works without crypto available; openssh doesn't.

> And finally as a hypothetical, if a person were to create a modified version
> of TiK or GAIM that used pgp or gnupg to optionally encrypt messages, would
> this have to go in non-us?

IANAL, but I think the answer is no.  If it required the user to
encrypt messages, and thus required the use of crypto, I think the
situation would be different.

Chris

P.S. Obligitory NSA flag (and why the hell is Ortega in it?):

SCUD missile Ortega AK-47 Uzi $400 million in gold bullion Rule Psix
Nazi militia Project Monarch counter-intelligence JFK cypherpunk Kibo
Ron Brown clones
|         Chris Lawrence        |            Visit my home page!            |
|    <quango@watervalley.net>   |      http://www.lordsutch.com/chris/      |
|    Grad Student, Pol. Sci.    |    Join the party that opposed the CDA    |
|   University of Mississippi   |             http://www.lp.org/            |