Re: [DOM Java bindings] Can a W3C recommandation be free?

On Sunday 7 November 1999, at 16 h 31, the keyboard of Mark Wielaard
<mark@klomp.org> wrote:

> That copyright notice seems to apply only to the DOM specification itself.
> Not to the actual Java source files.

OK, I missed that point.

> Please make sure that you get the latest Java language bindings from the errata
> page <http://www.w3.org/DOM/updates/REC-DOM-Level-1-19981001-errata.html>.

Thanks. Unfamiliar with W3C's procedures, I missed that update.

> That Software Notice can be found on
> <http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Legal/copyright-software.html>
> and seems to me to be free according to the Debian Free Software Guidelines.

I agree. Then, lib-dom-java will go to main. Many thanks for the explanations.

> Please also read their W3C Intellectual Property FAQ which has a special
> section on W3C software:
> <http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Legal/IPR-FAQ.html#Software>

Which is very clear, and very free.