Re: Corel

On Wed, Sep 22, 1999 at 01:02:00AM -0000, bruce@perens.com wrote:
> I spoke with a Corel official today - he had hoped to have a policy change
> announcement today but ran out of time. He committed that he has been assigned
> the problem, he really is working on it, and he said that I can tell people
> that he's working on it.
>
> Just give them a little more time, please folks.

I just want to comment (since several people have been saying it on irc
but not here) that I was really disappointed with this issue.  Not the
problem with Corel's license---that's almost inevitable given the size of
Corel.  These things happen, they're pointed out, and they're fixed.
Simple as that.

What I am really disappointed in was the reaction I saw places such as
Slashdot.  We all know the average Slashdot poster these days is .. not
exactly guaranteed to be clued, but I believe the comments I read were an
embarassment to each and everyone in the Linux community and the Free
Software movement in general.

Thank you Bruce for tackling this sensitive issue--no doubt made much more
sensitive by the very loud minority who wouldn't know what to do with a
clue if you gave them one.  (I insist on believing this group is a
minority even if I am fully aware their numbers are growing--thinking
otherwise is much too depressing tonight...)

I just hope nobody at Corel felt too alienated by some of the rude things
said to them.  Granted if they'd been completely unwilling to fix their
license booboo I might have had different things to say this morning.  As
long as they're willing to meet our deman^w^w^wcooperate with us (*g*),
there's no reason to be rude to them.  =>

--
Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@debian.org>             Debian GNU/Linux developer
GnuPG: 2048g/3F9C2A43 - 20F6 2261 F185 7A3E 79FC  44F9 8FF7 D7A3 DCF9 DAB3