for any putpose and without fee?

I was asked about _simple_ suggestions for a license change from
an upstream author such that his software could go into main
(currently not packaged).  So I went looking at copyright files
on my system, and wondered about the following text:

 Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software and its
 documentation for any purpose and without fee is hereby granted, provided
 that the above copyright notice appear in all copies and that both that
 copyright notice and this permission notice appear in supporting
 documentation.  This software is provided "as is" without express or
 implied warranty.

It's not written
 `is hereby granted for any purpose and without fee'
but rather
 `permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute [...] for any
  purpose and without fee'.

Doesn't that means not allowed to sell (i.e. non DFSG-compliant)?

I ask because a lot of packages in main have this.  Here's what
on my system:

$ grep -l "for any purpose and without fee" /usr/doc/*/copyright | sed -e "s|/usr/doc/||;s|/copyright||;"
arena
diffstat
f2c
fvwm-common
fvwm2
fvwm95
ghostview
ical
imap
libcomerr2
libss2
metamail
netpbm-nonfree
netpbm
netpbm1
pine
pnmtopng
python-base
python-doc
python-elisp
python-examples
python-misc
python
tkdesk
xcolors
xftp
xlockmore
xntp3-doc
xntp3
xpat2
xscreensaver
xsysinfo
xxgdb

If I'm wrong about the interpretation, I might suggest this
license.  However, am I right that it doesn't exclude making a
sold-for-profit binary-only derived product?  It doesn't say
source will be provided...

Thanks
--
Peter Galbraith, research scientist          <GalbraithP@dfo-mpo.gc.ca>
Maurice Lamontagne Institute, Department of Fisheries and Oceans Canada