Re: IBM public license

Raul Miller <moth@magenta.com> writes:

[IPL is not GPL compatible]

> But I'm curious about these other conflicts.  I've not read the license
> closely enough to pin them down or to rule them out.  Having someone
> else's insight on the matter would be illuminating.

Consider the situation where I take some code from a GPL'ed program and
some code from a program under the IBM license, add some of my own and
wish to distribute the result.

Now, since my program is a deriviate of the GPL'ed program, I can only
distribute the resulting binary if I also distribute the entire source
for it under GPL. And, by the explicit definition in the GPL, the
"entire source" includes those parts I took from IBMs program.

On the other hand, IBM's license does not allow me to redistibute
part of their source under any other license than IBM's own license.
because the two licenses are not the same, I cannot simultaneously
fulfill the requirements of both licenses.

--
Henning Makholm