Re: licence of CommAPI from Sun

Hmm.  This is explicitly a contract, that must be entered into before
you can download the software.  I assume that you have done so, or you
would not be able to package it.  I think it is now your responsibility
to offer the software to us under a license consistent with
Supplemental 1.iv ("only distribute the Program subject to a license
agreement that protects Sun's interests consistent with the terms
contained herein"), which Debian can accept.  It will have to be a
simple grant of rights, since Debian will not sign contracts to
distribute software.

I do not think it is possible to do this, since some of the "terms contained
herein" are directly opposed to Debian's goals.

For example:

1.ii: (ii) do not distribute additional software intended to replace
      any component(s) of the Software;

Debian intends to create and provide such software.

(v) may not create, or authorize your licensees to create additional
    classes, interfaces, or subpackages that are contained in the "java",
    "javax" or "sun" packages or similar as specified by Sun in any class
    file naming convention;

This is a lot like 1.ii, but apparently covering other software.  I'm not
sure exactly what it means.

(vi) agree to indemnify, hold harmless, and defend Sun and its
     licensors from and against any claims or lawsuits, including
     attorneys' fees, that arise or result from the use or distribution of
     the Program.

Debian cannot agree to this.  I think that you could agree to it instead,
though, and then take responsibility for Debian's use and distribution
of the program.  I do not think that would be wise.

Richard Braakman