Re: copyright must be written in English?

Ryuichi Arafune <arafune@debian.or.jp> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I have one question.
>
> copyright must be written in English?
> if the answer is "yes", why?
>
> It may be necessory to request an upstream author to write copyright
> in English may be neseccesory for many non-Japanese Debian-user.
>
> But on leagal, the translated copyright has no force, I belive.
>
> I think it is enough to write  such a way:
>
>   "This program copyright is written in Japanese.
>    And the copyright permits to distribute this
>    program as a "main"
> 	        "contrib"
> 	        "non-free" "
>
> in README.Debian
>
> Please comment.

A translated legal document probably has no legal clout, especially if
it's not done by the owner of the copyright.

In fact, a poor translation might expose the translator to some legal
liability.  :-(

It's probably best to not translate the license.  But I would like to
see a short synopsis of the license in English so that the other users
of Debian can figure out the basic terms.

Cheers,

 - Jim