Re: BURT license

Paolo Didonè <dido@prosa.it> writes:

> But i'm not sure if following part of license is DFSG (1. Free
> Redistribution) compliant:

>   A reasonable copying fee may be charged for any distribution of
>   this software, but no fee may be charged for the software itself.

I would think it is good enpough. It says that I may take money for
the act of giving you a copy. If you do not find my price reasonable
you're free to get a copy from somewhere else instead.

Another possible interpretation is that the author can sue me when I
offer to create a copy for you if you pay me $1000, because that is
not "reasonable". With that interpretation, the license is not DFSG-free.

You might want to enquire the author politely about the possibility
of clarifying what he means by "reasonable". If he replies something
along the lines that a price is reasonable whenever there is a demand
for copies at that price, you could attach his response to the
copyright file and be OK.

--
Henning Makholm