Re: Werken Public License

On Sun, Jun 13, 1999 at 11:00:25PM +0300, Tommi Virtanen wrote:
>         [Please Cc: me, I'm not subscribed to this list]
>
>         Hi. I'm pondering on packaging bake
>         (http://bake.werken.com/), but I'm not sure
>         how it's license relates to the DFSG.
>
>         If you could please take a look at
>         http://bake.werken.com/dox/licensing.html
>         and see if the author's claims about Open
>         Sourcedness are true. I am especially worried
>         about
>
> "You may not redistribute it with other software which is not free."

            The WPL is [not] an Open Source license. It boils down to:
     * You may use this software however you like.
     * You may modify this sofware however you like.
     * You may redistribute modified or unmodified copies of this
       software only with other free software, or alone.

Violates DFSG #9: License Must Not Contaminate Other Software "The license
must not place restrictions on other software that is distributed along with
the licensed software. For example, the license must not insist that all
other programs distributed on the same medium must be free software."

     * You may not redistribute it with other software which is not free.

Violates DFSG #9: License Must Not Contaminate Other Software "The license
must not place restrictions on other software that is distributed along with
the licensed software. For example, the license must not insist that all
other programs distributed on the same medium must be free software."

     * You may not distribute a modified version of this software without
       providing source code.

May violate DFSG #2: Source Code "The program must include source code, and
must allow distribution in source code as well as compiled form."

                               Additionally,
     * We will continue to distribute bake in source form under the WPL.
     * We reserve the right to offer bake under additional different
       licenses.
     * Any changes or patches received and included will be covered under
       the same licenses as bake itself.

--
Brian Ristuccia
brianr@osiris.978.org