Question about licensing

  I'm sure you all get asked this a lot, so please forgive me but
this is my first step into the open software world.

  I'm curious about using GPL'ed software in a supporting role for
non-GLP software. Let's say YoyoDyne takes the Debian installer
verbatum and uses it to install the next version of their propietary
InternetDestructor 5.x.  Is this legally acceptable?

  Under what circumstances does it become non-legal?  If they change
the code but return the changes to the public?  If they change the
code and do not return the changes to the public (that's illegal
anyway though, right?).  Does the type of product being installed
matter?  How about the installation medium itself?  The system it's
installed into?

  As I understand it, perhaps wrongly, as long as the installer
itself is unchanged and ships intact (including source), it could be
used for anything by anyone.  Is this correct?  If it is correct, is
there somewhere where it says this clearly that I'm missing?

  If YoyoDyne wants to put a GUI wrapper around the dpkg, what then?
 Does making a GUI wrapper for the product become a case of
"incorporating" it into a propietary system?  Even if the original
code is completely unchanged?  If the GUI in question is written in C
for WinAPI's and that C code is then distriubted, does that mean it
is no longer proprietary?  If there is non-free software used during
the build of the GUI wrapper, what then?

Maury