Re: 6 GPL'ed Packages that depend on XForms.

Brian Ristuccia wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 07, 1999 at 08:18:30PM +0200, Henning Makholm wrote:
>
> > I would suggest
> >
> >     "You may link this software with XForms (Copyright (C) by
> >     T.C. Zhao and Mark Overmars) and distribute the resulting
> >     binary, under the restrictions in clause 3 of the GPL,
> >     even though the resulting binary is not, as a whole,
> >     covered by the GPL. (You still need a separate license
> >     to do so from the owner(s) of the copyright for XForms,
> >     however). You are not required to include this paragraph
> >     in the license for deriviatives of this software.
> >

> I know this seems silly, but it might be wise to make it clear that when
> that paragraph is removed the rights granted by it are also revoked.

I see the slight ambiguity.  How about:

    "You may link this software with XForms (Copyright (C) by
    T.C. Zhao and Mark Overmars) and distribute the resulting
    binary, under the restrictions in clause 3 of the GPL, even
    though the resulting binary is not, as a whole, covered by
    the GPL. (You still need a separate license to do so from the
    owner(s) of the copyright for XForms, however).  If a
    derivative no longer requires XForms, you may use the
    unsupplemented GPL as its license by deleting this paragraph
    and therefore removing this exemption for XForms.

Too wordy?
Thanks to all of you!

Peter