Re: Corel Setup Design Proposal

On Thu, May 06, 1999 at 05:38:36PM -0400, Ben Pfaff wrote:
> [Note: I am moving this to debian-legal, where it belongs.]

Good.

>    > At this point I'm going to reiterate my concern about linking Qt to
>    > the GPL'd boot floppies code.  Don't do it, it's a violation of
>    > license as far as I can tell.
>    >

>    Bottom line is that Debian has publicly supported QT2's license. If not then how
>    about clearing   this issue up publicly, have you or not?
>
> The conclusion that we came to, I believe, is that Qt 2.0 is DFSG-free
> (Open Source).  That doesn't mean that it's GPL compatible (it's not,
> IIRC)), which is a separate issue.

Yes, we did.

> Please read the debian-legal archives for more information.  You can
> find them at
> 	http://www.debian.org/Lists-Archives/
> The most relevant months are Nov and Dec 1998.  There may also be some
> relevant messages in the debian-devel archive.
>
> I am not trying to say that Qt is a bad library or that its licensing
> is bad in some way, BTW.  But its license is not compatible with the
> GPL.

Correct.  This is a problem and it will keep KDE out of Debian until
resolved.  Guess who gets to resolve it?  I must be mad I tell you.

<Overfiend> partycle: I seriously do need a vacation from this package.
            I actually had a DREAM about introducing a stupid new bug
            into xbase-preinst last night.  That's a Bad Sign.