Free licence promotion

I want to get a solid understanding on why the free license is better than
nothing. :)  The reason of question is that for Russian language there are two
ispell dictionaries.  One is free, and one is "for personal use only".  The
latter is much better than the former since it's smaller but have a more
powerful word creation rules.  And it would be nice to get the second
dictionary into Debian.  The author says nothing except for "for personal
use only", which, if I understand correctly, means no redistribution at all.

I would appreciate if somebody directed me to a good text describing the way
(with resoning, of course) of "pushing" the author to change the licence.

Thanks,

--
Mike