Re: Modification of reference material

On Sun, 11 Apr 1999 15:08:51 +0200, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
>Previously Liam Quinn wrote:
>> I'm looking for advice on how to overcome these concerns and allow the
>> references to be included in the main Debian distribution.
>
>I'm not online so I can't check your references, but I think saying in
>the license that a modified version can not be distributed using the
>same name would solve the problem?

The problem is that we don't want modified versions of the reference
materials floating around. We've had some bad experiences with people who
inserted their own ad banners, or even modified the text to "correct" things,
but unfortunately got it wrong. The negative feedback then came back to us.

I've looked at the debian license, but it only seems to cover programs, not
documentation like this. Is there a need to make reference materials also
"free" in the sense of the license? If so, that would mean that Debian
couldn't for example include a local mirror of the RFC documents. I can
understand this requirement for manpages and such, since the modifications to
the source could mean a modification to the documentation, but for a
standalone reference document?

The renaming requirement wouldn't solve this problem, I think. All the files
are clearly marked as WDG material, with hyperlinks to our site, so the
casual reader wouldn't notice the difference between the original and a
modified version just by looking at the filename.

Greetings,

Arnoud

--
\/  Arnoud "Galactus" Engelfriet - galactus@stack.nl              This space
    5th year Business & Computing Science student                 left blank