Re: about logos

[ migrated from -vote to -legal; ionutz, i've cc'ed you too because i
don't know if you're on the list. ]

> About modifying the logos now:
> I am curious on one thing: if I can modify the liberal one, I can make
> it look like the official one. For the swirl: I remove the botle and
> make the swirl bigger; for the seals: add an Earth. These are modified
> versions of the liberal. Seems a bit confusing to me.

well, ianal, but i think if i modified the liberal logo to be the official
logo, it would be the official logo (and thus ripping off our artwork w/o
following the licence). in the same way, if i modify my bsd-licence code by
inserting the entirety of gnu emacs, i have to put the result under the gpl
(because it is an emacs derivative, no matter what i "started" with). or
from another perspective, what if i just drew a copy of the official logo
(or the m$ logo, or whatever) with my own pen? it'd still be illegal,
because it's the picture that's copyrighted, not the bits (this is in
contrast to software, where if i wrote my own copy of emacs from scratch,
and could prove i had done so, i could distribute it as proprietary
software).

hth, hand.
--phouchg
"For a price I'd do about anything, except pull the trigger: for that I'd
need a pretty good cause" -- Queensryche, "Revolution Calling"
PGP 5.0 key (0xE024447449) at http://cif.rochester.edu/~phouchg/pgpkey.txt