Re: Deltec UPS Software

Brian Ristuccia writes:
> I think these lawsuits are rare to non-existant, and the odds of someone
> winning are nearly nil.

I've never heard of one being filed.

> Large universities wouldn't give away software if it opened them to
> liability.

I can't see how there could be any liability at all.  Product liability is
based on contract law: the manufacturer or his agent takes your money and
gives you his product in return, promising that it will do the job for
you.  No money, no contract.

Furthermore, since GPL software is provided with source and with the right
to modify, the user has every opportunity to inspect it for defects and
correct any he finds.  If he uses it in a critical application without
doing so, he is negligent.

I also doubt that if the jurisdictions the author worries about exist and a
product liability suit against him is allowed to proceed that his clause
would provide him any protection.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org (John Hasler)