Re: Recently released QPL

On Thu, Mar 25, 1999 at 01:44:42PM -0600, John Goerzen wrote:
> > That is your opinion (and the opinion of most of us) but it's still not the
> > "fact" you make it out to be.  GPL *does* restrict your rights.  If you
> > found a kewl foobar program but wanted to put the xforms front end to it,
> > you can't.  Well, you can, but then you can't distribute it to anyone,
>
> This is the fault of the xforms people for not making it truly Free;
> don't try to pin that on the GPL.  BTW, we do have GPL code that is
> linked to xforms in Debian: LyX.
I don't know anything surrounding LyX but I remember in my early days,
(before jumping on the 100% free band wagon I used xforms as my toolkit)
having a package that I was upstream for rejected by james/dark (I forget
which) because it was linked to Xforms even though the code was released
GPL.

As to the rest of this, we can go back and forth and make -legal just like
-devel..  The upshot is, I can believe that the GPL restricts freedoms
without being anti-debian, anti-freesoftware or pro-proprietary...