Re: Recently released QPL

On Tue, Mar 23, 1999 at 11:06:26PM -0800, Joseph Carter wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 23, 1999 at 04:17:06PM -0500, Raul Miller wrote:
> > > It was long enough ago that providing a copy may be somewhat difficult.
> > > It's been a few months.  I'll see if I can find it though.
> > If it's been that long, I think there's a reasonable chance you're
> > remembering a mis-interpretation of what he said.
> No, people on irc have seen it---and they didn't believe it until I
> reproduced it either.  I couldn't find a copy of the original reply but
> it's possible netgod may have it in an irc log.

I'm not netgod, but still.

-:- Knghtbrd is now known as }
<}> On Wed, Dec 23, 1998 at 06:16:13PM -0700, Richard Stallman wrote:
<}> >     Here's where I am headed (another outline):
<}> >
<}> > This would not succeed in being GPL-compatible.  In order to be
<}> > GPL-compatible, a license has to allow you to use the code under the
<}> > GPL, so that it can be part of a combination that is itself under
<}> > the GPL as a whole.
<}> >
<}> > For example, the XFree86 license is GPL-compatible because it allows
<}> > people to add their own license--ANY license--on top.  So in
<}> > particular you could add the GPL on top of it.
<}> >
<}> > The LGPL is GPL-compatible because it specifically allows
<}> > you to "replace" it with the GPL.
-:- } is now known as Knghtbrd
<Knghtbrd> he snipped my outline but I can find it for you if you really need it
<Knghtbrd> come to think of it, you can find it yourself
<Knghtbrd> that's quite public  =>
<Knghtbrd> Based on this said to me and similar said to Troll Tech, the Trolls c
ouldn't care less if RMS believes their license is GPL compatible or not
<Knghtbrd> the outline I proposed was essentially the GPL with a nicer wording..

This is on a secluded channel, but I assume Joseph doesn't mind me quoting
that.

The original was from discussion Cc'ed to debian- lists, possibly including
this one. I'm not quite sure.

Cheers,
aj