Re: Debian wants to include AOL TiK client with Debian GNU/Linux

On Mon, Mar 22, 1999 at 08:36:57AM -0500, tictoc@aol.net wrote:
> Thanks for the comments and feedback about the license.  I think we would
> like to see our license allow Debian to include TiK, although we would
> neither promote or hinder such an inclusion.

Thanks for considering this. I understand your need to remain neutral amoung
the different parties redistributing TiK, and we don't expect any special
treatment or mention from AOL or the TiK developers.

> Just to clarify, Debian is only concerned with the license inside
> the source code.

Correct.

> The "service" license inside of the LICENSE file,
> doesn't matter?  Since the service license was at one point standard
> across all AIM clients, it would be hard to change.

The license (really more of a service agreement) on the AOL Instant
Messanger service has no bearing on our ability to distribute the software.
>From what I can see, only the software license at the top of each source file
is at issue.

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly. Please keep in touch regarding
any changes you might be making to the TiK license.

--
Brian Ristuccia
brianr@debian.org