Re: DNSsafe license

On Wed, Mar 17, 1999 at 11:40:37AM -0800, Darren Benham wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 17, 1999 at 12:15:00PM -0700, Bdale Garbee wrote:
> >
> > This is unfriendly to the free software community at large, to the
> > extent that someone might want to use the DNSsafe code for some non-DNS
> > purpose which this license would not cover, forcing them to negotiate a
> > different license with RSA.  But again, I don't see how this violates
> > the DFSG... or how it in any way prevents distribution of BIND.
>
> That might make BIND free in DFSG sense but relying anything non-free
> (which DNSsafe is) would put BIND into contrib in the Debian sense
> (non-free if you can't seperate BIND from DNSsafe).

BIND could remain in main where it is now if the DNSsafe could could be
separated without breaking bind. Only if BIND required DNSsafe (obviously
non-free) would it end up in contrib.

I find it discomforting that a very important part of the Internet is at
risk of getting entangled with patent issues and proprietary code when
there's perfectly acceptable free code and unpatented (actually
patent-expired) technologies that can do the same things.

--
Brian Ristuccia
brianr@osiris.978.org