Re: Intent to package: vcg

Jules Bean <jmlb2@hermes.cam.ac.uk> writes:

> > The copyright is GPL with some uglified files (the graph layout
> > modules)---they are no longer human readable. This should be
> > acceptable to go in main.

> Note that the GPL defines source code in such a way that obfuscated source
> code does not qualify as source code.  So, by the GPL's rules, this is not
> being provided with source, which probably makes in undistributable,

Worse than being incompatible with the GPL, it is incompatible with
the spirit (if not the letter) of the DFSG.

At least as far as I see it, one should be able to tell one's
management that it "is safe to rely on any software in Debian's
main distribution, because even if the author dies or his computer
blows up and he's got no backup, we can always hire any competent
programmer ourselves to fix bugs, because the source is available".

If uglified source files went into main, we would lose that guarantee.

--
Henning Makholm
http://www.diku.dk/students/makholm