Re: TAO license - Debian misinterpretation

On Mon, 14 Dec 1998, Ossama Othman wrote:

> Hi Santiago,
>
> > I can still write free software using GPLed code fragments.
> > I can't write free software using TAO fragments, because TAO itself
> > forbids me to do so. I think there is a big difference.
>
> "Free" by the definition of the GPL.

No, DFSG-Free, which is the kind of freeness we are discussing.

If you think that the GPL is not free enough, go ahead, you may propose a
modification to the DFSG that explicitly says that we don't want any GPLed
software (not recommended ;-).

On the other side, if you think that the "may restrict the source from
being distributed in modified form _only if patches are allowed ..." is
too restrictive, you may propose a modification to the DFSG so that "being
conform to a given standard" becomes yet another allowed exception.

But until then, the DFSG that we have are the ones that we currently have.

--
 "c0a3975f4a98a24c6085e5e7cef2b479" (a truly random sig)