Re: TAO license - Debian misinterpretation

Hi,

> Well, going tangent :-), the GPL does not "force" you to do anything:
>
>   5. You are not required to accept this License, since you have not
> signed it.  However, nothing else grants you permission to modify or
> distribute the Program or its derivative works.

It was my understanding that if you use GPLed code your code must also be
GPLed.  Isn't that "forcing" you?

> Well, everything I can say is that TAO restriction is not DFSG-compliant:
>
>   4. Integrity of The Author's Source Code
>
>      The license may restrict source-code from being distributed in modified
>      form _only if the license allows the distribution of "patch files" with
>      the source code for the purpose of modifying the program at build time.
>

> The "only" above means that every other restriction, like "being conform
> to a given standard" in the TAO case, is not an allowed.

Well here we go again, the patch clause! :)
Can someone tell me how to propose a change in the Policy?  I'd really
like to see this changed to allow for "exceptions."  What the exceptions
would be I am not sure of.  It is something that should be discussed,
IMHO.

-Ossama
Ossama Othman <othman@astrosun.tn.cornell.edu>
58 60 1A E8 7A 66 F4 44  74 9F 3C D4 EF BF 35 88  1024/8A04D15D 1998/08/26