Re: GPL and scripting languages (here: python2.3-psycopg)

On Wed, Apr 07, 2004 at 11:17:41AM -0400, Brian Thomas Sniffen wrote:
> "W. Borgert" <debacle@debian.org> writes:
> > psycopg.  Note: RMS explicitly does not allow any GNU Emacs
> > modes that are not GPLed.  GNU Emacs modes are written in
> > elisp, so the situation might be comparable.  Confusion?
>
> GNU Emacs is distributed under the GPL.  elisp code links with the
> interpreter: for example, gnus.el and Emacs together form a work, the
> Gnus news-reader.  But if Emacs is a normal part of the OS, I don't
> see why there's a problem there -- you just distribute the elisp code
> alone, and tell people to use the Emacs elisp interpreter which came
> with their system.

I am the Debian maintainter of asn1-mode for GNU Emacs and
RMS explicitly educated the upstream authors they have to
release the mode under GPL or not at all.  I think, this is
a little bit strange, because one could theoretically write
an Emacs clone using M$ latest crazy EULA as a license, but
elisp-compatible to GNU Emacs.  Anyway, with Python things
are different, because the license differs.

Cheers,
--
W. Borgert <debacle@debian.org>, http://people.debian.org/~debacle/