Re: Is Open Publication License v1.0 compatible?

On Sat, Feb 28, 2004 at 12:21:11PM +0000, Henning Makholm wrote:
> | Any publication in standard (paper) book form shall require the
> | citation of the original publisher and author. The publisher and
> | author's names shall appear on all outer surfaces of the book. On
> | all outer surfaces of the book the original publisher's name shall
> | be as large as the title of the work and cited as possessive with
> | respect to the title.
>
> I find this clause non-free, like the similar language in the GFDL.

I concur.

> | 2. The person making the modifications must be identified and the
> |    modifications dated. -
>
> This seems to fail the Dissident Test.

I concur.

It's interesting to note that the GNU GPL, while it has a similar
clause, arguably passes the Dissident Test:

(2) a) You must cause the modified files to carry prominent notices
    stating that you changed the files and the date of any change.

A statement that "you changed the files" is not *quite* the same as "the
person making the modifications must be identified".

The latter strongly implies that it be possible to track down the
modifier.  The GNU GPL seems to be more concerned that the fact of
modification is noted.

A required "date of change" notice would, in my interpretation, only
fail the Dissident Test if the date had to be very precise.

> | The location of the original unmodified document must be identified.
>
> What do we think of this? It seems to prevent any distribution of
> derivate documents if the original has been lost or at least one does
> not know any location where the original can be found.

I think such a requirement is probably unreasonable, and if the location
is inoperative -- whether deliberately or accidently -- this might be
interpreted by some copyright holders as a termination clause.

"You failed to note the location of the original unmodified document
[because I took it down]!  Your license is revoked!  See you in court!"

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    As people do better, they start
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    voting like Republicans -- unless