Re: Attribution-ShareAlike License

Seth David Schoen <schoen@eff.org>:

> Adobe has patents which it claims apply to PDF and has licensed them only
> for the purpose of creating compatible implementations.
>
> http://partners.adobe.com/asn/developer/legalnotices.jsp
>
> If you modified an application which implements PDF so that it was
> incompatible with Adobe's specifications, you might be outside the
> scope of Adobe's patent license grant.

That's interesting to know - though I don't intend to read the patents
themselves.

Presumably you are not suggesting that programs that manipulate PDF
files are non-free just because you can infringe a US patent by
modifying them. Are you suggesting we should avoid using PDFs?

By the way, is ReportLab (a python toolkit for generating PDFs) free
software? Their website seems not to be working at present.