Re: Documentation and Sarge's Release Critical Policy

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003, Jérôme Marant wrote:
> Software in Debian is 100% free.

That's incorrect.  Debian is 100% Free Software.  You can read this as
(100% Free) Software or as 100% (Free Software), but either way, debian
doesn't include non-free non-software.

> It doesn't prevent Debian to
> distribute something else than software.

True.  We have non-free for just such a reason.  The social contract DOES
prevent such things (non-free stuff and non-software stuff) being part of
Debian.  If it's not free software, it's not debian.

Personally, I consider electronic documents to be a subset of "software",
so non-free is sufficient to hold GFDL documents.  If you'd rather
introduce a non-software archive, feel free to propose it.

> This is an extreme vision of freedom I do not share.

This is a rational vision of freedom which I do share.