Re: APSL 2.0

On Thu, Aug 07, 2003 at 05:16:16PM -0400, Brian T. Sniffen wrote:
[...]
> if you don't buy that, at least consider the original argument: that a
> restriction in addition to those imposed by copyright law is
> necessarily non-free.

We don't uphold this principle in practice.  DFSG #4 explicitly
allows the sort of "poor man's trademark" restriction that is exercised
by the Apache license.

At one point I considered writing a critique of the Apache license for
this reason, but figured it would just provoke flameage and not much in
the way of serious consideration.

Besides, a statement like "any restriction beyond that imposed by
copyright law is non-free" necessitatates that we answer the question
"which copyright law?".

I think we're better off with the
broad-principles-combined-with-specific-tests approach that I believe is
(imperfectly) exemplified by our current Social Contract and DFSG.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |
Debian GNU/Linux                   |       "Bother," said Pooh, as he was