Re: aspell-nl license

On Thu, Aug 15, 2002 at 01:53:47PM -0600, Richard Stallman wrote:
> I think word lists are copyrightable.  The selection is a matter of
> choice, not simple fact.

Is this a position statement of the FSF, at least if one reads the "are"
as "should be"?

I am curious because traditionally, copyright has been grounded on the
degree of originality in a work, not the quantity of labor that went
into producing it.

Also, in the case of word lists, it may be especially difficult to
discern an independent creation from a modified work that has been
stripped of its original copyright notice.  The more general-purpose the
word list -- as is frequently the case with spell-checking applications
-- the more challenging this process of discernment becomes.

It is similarly nonsensical to assert copyright over simple musical
constructs, such as arpeggiated triads, 12-bar blues and other chord
progressions in one key using only the tonic, subdominant, and dominant
scale degrees.  (There is a finite and small number of ways to juxtapose
three chords without repeating them.)

--
G. Branden Robinson                |     Reality is what refuses to go away
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     when I stop believing in it.