Re: FDL and DFSG ? what document licence should i recommend.

On Mon, 18 Feb 2002, Sven wrote:

> Having to suggest a free licence to someone having written a
> documentation that i want to includein a package, i was at a loss on
> what to do exactly.

Do exactly the same as you'd do when recommending a free software license.
Ask what the author's desires are, try to find a license that fits, and
negotiate if necessary.

Personally, I think the FDL is free enough (with no cover texts or
invariant sections), but completely unnecessary.  I'd recommend:

1) public domain.  This is easisest for authors and users.
2) GPL.  Still easy, but provides protection against people extending your
work unfreely.
3) BSD or Artistic.