Re: asus eeepc 1225

On 11/21/19 3:52 PM, Paul dd wrote:

Il 21/11/2019 22:28, Dan Ritter ha scritto:
Sadly, the video chipset was always badly supported due to a
terrible intellectual property issue, which has not gone away.

I would strongly recommend getting a replacement. If you can
find nearly any other five year old laptop, it will be better
supported and reasonably affordable now. Replacing a spinning
disk with an SSD makes my 2011 MacBook quite useable these days.

-dsr-

Yes, I know , but when I bought it , there was ubuntu 12.04 LTS pre-installed , and I remenber the video card was supported as gma3600.

The paradoxical thing is that it was branded linux, so I bought it to haven't linux driver problem, instead it had this serius problem with gma3600 acceleration. I use it mainly in the terminal with ssh , it has an autonomy of 8-9 hours, very good for me.

After I installed debian , and the driver installed is gma500 without acceleration.

However, it is wrong to make the comparison with MacBook 2011 , it was a I5 or I7 cpu laptop based, instaed my asus eee pc 1225C is a poor N2600 netbook. I have an oldest HP elitebook ( from 2008 , without linux brand , with cpu intel core duo,ddr2 ram memory) and it work perfectly with debian, ubuntu , arch and freeBSD.

I don't know why asus has marketed this netbook brander linux without video card support.

What do they do at Asus????

Paul

My old desktop got hit with loss of video acceleration with its Nvidia graphics. I can not remember what model anymore but I got a lot of use out of it for many years. About 2 years ago I passed it down to my grandkids as a simple gaming, reading and music playing machine not recommended for internet browsing.

You may want to see if you can find a different use for you netbook or look at the small distributions such as tiny core linux http://tinycorelinux.net/ or puppy linux http://puppylinux.com/ or even go back to ubuntu 12.04 but be weary of internet use.

Regards,

Eric