A problem has occurred and the system can't recover. Need the newer kernel??

Hello,
I reinstalled Debian, by deleting the Linux
partitions in windows and installing to free space. The system boots
into Debian, but then before loading of gdm login screen I get this
error:
Oh no! Something has gone wrong.
A problem has occurred and the system can't recover
Did this happen to you upon installation?? Do I need to somehow install
the newer kernel (which I know solves various hardware problems) to make
it work? [connecting to wifi using the commandline will be a challenge
for me]
Please help!
thanks,