Re: Issues resuming from hibernation

Hey solitone,

I happen to have '/sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/' so I played
with that. I have been echoing to it.

I noticed that the values there don't seem to have a direct relation
with the actual brightness. By switching Fn + F7 and F8, different
values are put in those files.

What I mean with that is, I tap the function key three times down and
three times up, the backlight comes back to it's original luminance.
When I echo to that file the value shown at three times down, the
backlight changes, but after this, I can't get it to it's original
setting, with echoing the value that was shown. After this, by using the
function key, down and up, till I can tell it is the same luminance,
then the value shown isn't any longer the same.

Are you sure you need to switch the backlight off I ask. I reckon, the
backlight comes with it's own electronics, but by echoing a real low
value, it isn't actually turned off [according to the kernel I suppose],
and then you can echo to it, to see if you can get your preferred value,
and if this is stable [the backlight luminance stays at what you have
echo'd to it]

I'm not sure if this will be helpful, but it is helpful to see if
echoing '0' to it, gives the same problem.

Also, when you are confident how the kernel/ backlight responds to a low
value and zero value, then, if the system hibernates, you can remove the
battery, wait a moment, put it back in [to make sure your laptop is
really without current], see if that comes back [I suppose it will,
hence it hibernates], then you can be sure you won't have to turn off
the backlight.

Let me know if I missed something. Also, you might want to give xrandr/
xbacklight a try.

--
Richard Waterbeek <richardwbb@versatel.nl>
The Netherlands