Re: Problem with installation Debian 9

I can think of a few possibilities.

One is that the driver for your wireless card may not be in the installer. It may even be proprietary. In some cases, the only way to use the built-in wireless card is to use ndiswrapper to get the Windows driver for the card working. I believe Intel and Broadcomm are the best wireless card brands in terms of Linux compatibility.

Another possibility is that the wireless card might not be firmly connected to the mini PCIe slot on your laptop's motherboard. After a lot of travel by car or by train, these kinds of things can get loose. This has happened to the RAM on my laptop at least once. I have also heard of a man who traveled to work by train, where the screws which held the screen to the rest of the laptop were rattled out by the vibration of the train.

The only other possibility that I can think of is that there may be an open source driver for your wireless card which hasn't been compiled for Debian - either because its manufacturer has stopped supporting it, or because the manufacturer never produced Linux driver for it and someone else created an open-source driver which they have not worked on in a while.

Josh Blagden