Re: How to install firmware-linux-nonfree

Dave Horsfall <dave@horsfall.org> writes:

On Sat, 15 Jul 2017, DI Florian Reitmeir wrote:

> Quoting from Wikipedia: "802.11n can use either the 2.4 GHz > or the 5 > GHz band"; does that not mean what it seems to say?

this is not wrong, but nearly all adapters support wireless to the very old 801.11b for compatibility. so if an adapter support 5ghz, he will in 99% also support 802.11a but if he supports 802.11n 5ghz is not mandatory

Ah, so it *might* support 5GHz... :-(  Thanks.

you can also post which chipset your notebook uses, but most devices only support 2,4ghz

Oops, I forgot; "lsusb" plays its cards close to its chest, but I found this in "dmesg": Atheros AR9565 Rev:1. After some searching, I see that it doesn't do 5GHz...

Will trade Acer Aspire E-15 for a Debian-compatible laptop if it does 802.11a :-)

Can you not swap the wifi card out for a better one?